The UW-Extension Family Living Program, with Mary Ann Schilling as the Family Living Educator, provides education promoting family strengths and helps our community become a positive environment for family life. Educational programming covers a wide array of topics including parenting and grand-parenting, care-giving, family relationships and couple relationships, stress management, financial management, health and wellness, poverty prevention, building community connections and community resources. Classes or individual meetings can be arranged. The Family Living Program partners with many community organizations to address community issues and provides education through or to these partners.
Classes and resources through the Waushara County UW-Extension Family Living Program include:
Family Money Management
Managing Your Money
Learn how to make your money work for you! Topics include: wants and needs, income and expenses, goal setting, spending plans, and strategies to stretch your money. Contact Mary Ann Schilling at 920-787-0416 or firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about managing your money.
Rent Smart focuses on the knowledge and skills essential for a successful renting experience. It challenges participants to know and understand their rights and responsibilities as a tenant, as well as know and understand the rights and responsibilities of their landlord. Emphasis is on forming a strong partnership between the tenant and landlord. Establishing a positive rental history is much like having a positive credit report and Rent Smart starts participants on the right path for success.
Money as You Grow Book Club
Money as You Grow uses children’s books to teach children and parents basic money concepts such as saving, spending, and more. Through reading, play, and one-on-one discussions your children can develop money skills they can use for life! https://www.consumerfinance.gov/consumer-tools/money-as-you-grow/book-club/
Money Management Resources
- Waushara County Resource page: http://wausharapreventioncouncil.org/vision-2020/area-resources/
- Financial Fitness Quiz
- Spending Plan Worksheet
- How to Access Your Free Credit Report
- Millionaire Secrets Can Help All Families PowerPoint Presentation
Parenting and Family Relationships Education
- Co-Parenting Classes for separating or divorcing parents.
- Grandparents Raising Grandchildren
- Strengthening Families (10-14 year old)
- Raising a Thinking Child (parents of children ages 4-7)
- I Can Problem Solve (for childcare providers and educators)
Parenting and Family Resources
- Newsletters for parents, caregivers, and families in transition: https://parenting.uwex.edu/
- Childcare Provider Resources
Health & Wellness Education
- Healthy Clear & Simple is an educational program where you can build knowledge about your health and improve your health related decision-making. Interactive tools help you to be the healthiest you that you can be!
- Food Safety
Safe Food Preservation, including basic canning, fermentation, and freezing foods are a few of the topics offered. Food safety questions can be addressed by calling the UW Extension Office-Waushara County and asking for the Family Living Educator.
Health & Wellness Resources
- Information sheets, Questions to ask Your Doctor, and Healthy Tips & Ideas http://chdi.wisc.edu/ccs-rural-adaptation
- Food Safety guidelines: https://foodsafety.wisc.edu/
- Health Insurance – Connecting to health coverage and care: https://fyi.uwex.edu/healthinsurance/ http://www.coveringwi.org/learn
- Help your family eat well and stay fit: http://articles.extension.org/families_food_fitness
Home & Community Education Organization
If you have questions regarding family living in Waushara County, please contact:
Mary Ann Schilling, Family Living Educator
UW Extension-Waushara County
P. O. Box 487
Wautoma, WI 54982-0487